Study Abroad: Getting Started
Congratulations on taking the first step towards a once-in-a-lifetime international experience through the GC International Education Center! The steps below will help guide you through the process of choosing and applying to a GC study abroad program, so get started and bon voyage!
1. Watch a recorded information session.
This is a great place to start with all the study abroad basics covered in about 15 minutes. Learn about program types, scholarships and funding, and how to navigate the application process.
2. Attend an Advising session.
- In-person Information Sessions Mondays and Tuesdays @ 2PM Chappell Hall 102
- Virtual Drop-In Advising Sessions Wednesdays and Thursdays from 2-3PM in Teams. Click HERE for the link.
3. Search for study abroad programs, including internships abroad and service-learning opportunities:
- Program Discovery allows you to search using any keyword.
- Featured Programs has our GC faculty-led short term programs, including the GC virtual programs
- Border Free Study Abroad programs, which are virtual or mostly virtual but have unique international, cross-cultural experiences that you will not find in typical virtual classes.
- Advanced Search allows you to search all programs, including semester and year options, by location, term, and more details.
- The online Study Abroad Catalog provides a quick "Around the World in a Few Minutes" peek into all of your program options.
- Check out the list of study abroad courses taught by GC faculty to find a program that suits your academic needs: GC Study Abroad Courses for GC-Led Programs 2022.
4. Schedule an appointment with a study abroad adviser. See our current availability and make an appointment HERE. We are happy to meet with you face to face or virtually - your choice! This is a great way to get advice on specific opportunities, address any questions or concerns you might have, and receive more detailed information about any Georgia College study abroad program.
Email email@example.com to set up an appointment. Include the term you want to study abroad (summer, fall, spring, year) and some dates and times you are available to meet. You can also call 478-445-4789.
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram @ GCSUStudyAbroad for all the latest study abroad news, upcoming events, stories from students who’ve been abroad, and more!
5. Apply for your program!
- Go to the online brochure for the program you've selected, and click the "Apply Now" button to login and begin your application.
- Be sure to carefully follow the directions provided and complete all required application materials.
- To secure your spot on a program, the deposit or application fee must be paid.
- Most programs have a posted application deadline, but some programs fill up quickly, long before the advertised application deadline.
- Also, note that students wanting to go abroad for a semester should begin their search and application process at least six months in advance of the application deadline.
Need more help completing the online application? Please see this PowerPoint presentation with step-by-step instructions and screenshots: Using Terra Dotta - Students.pptx or check out this short video.
Already know what program you want to do?
Go straight to step 5 above, and apply for your program!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
Non-Georgia College Students
Apply for admission to Georgia College as a transient or non-degree seeking student. Non-Georgia College students MUST be admitted to Georgia College before applying to any study abroad program. Students who are not admitted to Georgia College will not be eligible for participation. Admission requirements for transient and non-degree-seeking students are available at the Georgia College Admissions website.
Note: Not all programs are open to Non-Georgia College students. Contact the program director or email email@example.com with any questions regarding eligibility requirements. GC Study Abroad Scholarships are also not available to non-GC students.